Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Fresno, California

One of the main questions I've been asked since arriving in Fresno is "Why Fresno????".

As an exchange student from the University of Central Lancashire in England I had a choice of about six colleges across America. I wanted to experience living in California. I wanted to get away from the unpredictable mainly rainy weather in the UK, surf and sunbath on the beaches, go snowboarding, party in Vegas etc etc, so I chose the California State University, Fresno!

I have to admit Fresno is not really what I expected. Everything's so spread out, to do anything you really need a car, and even then there's not that much to do. There's not much of a nightlife and the clubs and bars close early compared to Europe. Now I've been here a few months I'm getting used to it, but it's hard when you've grown up in a place where you can just walk into a city and have shops, cafes, restaurants and bars all just in front of you! Or just jump on a train or a bus at almost any time of the day to get to where you want to be. But one thing I'm not complaining about is the weather. It's the end of October and I can still lie by the pool and sunbath! Fresno locals seem to complain about the weather a lot, they'd love to see some rain, I tell them to go to UK.

Overall Fresno is not somewhere I'd like to live in the future. It's just too boring, there's not enough going on. I enjoy more of a busy town/city, bustling with life both day and night. But one good thing about Fresno is it's location. From here I can easily go anywhere in California, and have done!

No comments: