Monday, November 24, 2008

Fresno State Football!

This was my first experience of American football and it was ok.... but to be honest I prefer the tailgating (bbqing and a few drinks) before the game than the game itself!

My friend Kyle had a bbq, this was also my first 'American' style bbq and was kinda interesting..... of course there was the usual hamburgers and hotdogs but he also cooked deer and dove, and EVERYTHING went with bbq sauce ha. But yeah it was good, everyone was dressed in red and some people painted their faces, others just got ridiculously drunk but I wasn't wanting to be standing up for 3 hours in a squashed football stadium while wasted... no thanks.

One thing about an American football game, prepare to be standing continuously for a LONG time. We arrived about an hour before the game so we could get a decent spot so I must have been on my feet for a total of 4 hours!

Now the game itself... I'm sorry but I just can't grow to love it. I keep comparing it to rugby (a much better game in my opinion) which is faster moving and easier to follow. I just get fed up with all the breaks in the play in American football and the fact that the game gets stopped for TV commercials???!!!! Well, it is America. Also the position of the kicker.... this is one argument that could go on forever.... it just seems stupid to me that one player is there to do nothing but kick, they just sit on the sideline waiting to come on after a touch down or whatever, take their kick, then sit down again. If anything it must be a pretty boring position to play! It's prob best not to start that conversation with any American.

Unfortunately Fresno State lost, ironically it was the kicker's fault, so everyone went back home pretty depressed. American football is taken VERY seriously over here.

One main difference betweeen the Americans and the Brits is when our teams lose we don't let that stop us from partying :-) but after that game Bulldog Village (where I live) was dead. Everyone just seemed to go home and get an early night and there was me expecting parties!

So my last dig at American football would have to be the name itself. They call our football, a game where your foot is in constant contact with the ball, soccer, but name their own sport, where you barely kick the ball at all, American football..... ok, explain that one!

No comments: